How to emotionally heal after Anaphylaxis

So it’s safe to say I have had a few serious anaphylactic reactions since I developed my allergies 4 years ago… All of my blog posts thus far have been about preventing anaphylaxis, but something that is equally as important is how to pick yourself up again after a reaction occurs. My last reaction was this past December and required three doses of Epinephrine. Two at my school and another in the ambulance. The first epi was improperly administered by a teacher who told me he was trained and knew what he was doing… Luckily he administered the second properly! The worst part of this reaction was that I was sitting there feeling my throat closing after two EpiPens and my principals contemplated calling an ambulance. At that moment I lost all hope in any kind of knowledge they told me they had in allergies. As I sit here and think back to that day and remember how close it was, I wonder if I would be here if they had contemplated calling any longer. This last reaction has been what has inspired me into sharing this blog and volunteering for Anaphylaxis Canada as a Youth Advisory Panel Member. After a reaction happens it is common to feel scared and shocked. It takes a few days to process what has happened to you and to start feeling like yourself again. I think it is important to see the good in what has happened! Yes, my reaction was very scary but it helped me realize that my school needs more allergy awareness and that, that is something I am passionate about. It is also important to not dwell on what you could have done differently to prevent the reaction, but to be thankful that you’re alive!!! And of course remember to let your body rest after a reaction! You have just been through something crazy and have epinephrine rushing through your veins, so let your body sleep and regain its strength! I hope that you never experience anaphylaxis, but if you do, follow these tips and you will be back on your feet in no time!!


Dont cry because it happened, SMILE because you’re alive!


35 thoughts on “How to emotionally heal after Anaphylaxis

  1. Somehow, despite all my food allergies, I’ve never experienced true anaphylaxis and only had to use epi once. But that first time was so hard, and had I not been at my doctor’s office, I know I would have been terrified. I didn’t expect to be sick for four days following the reaction. I mean, I should have, since almost dying is a pretty big deal, but I didn’t realize the extent of it. People expect you to get back on your feet right after — but even the next day, I could barely see or walk and my head was pounding. I called the doctor to say I felt like I was punched in the face. The nurse responded, “You sort of were. Your whole face is swelling internally. The only solution is to rest and ice your face.” It took a week before I could eat properly again (both from apetite and reacting from every food I ate). I wonder if I’d have gotten better more quickly if I’d have listened and rested. But no one really understands that eating a few bites or less of a food can turn into a sickness for days. Thank you for being an advocate!

    • Oh yeah, you definitely feel the effects of the epi and the reaction for a few days! Like you said, the body just came close to death so you can only imagine why you feel that way! And thank you for also being an advocate!

    • Cindy – your reply really helps me come to grips with my own anaphylaxis two days ago. Very good points, especially about resting, and “almost dying is a pretty big deal”. When I explained the huge bruise on my arm to my doctor’s nurse the following day, she gave me a funny look and said “Honey, your veins were collapsing during anaphylaxis, so that all the blood could get to your heart and brain where it belonged. Of course it would be painful and difficult and would leave a large bruise.” I am so glad I found this site and these replies.

  2. Do you feel sick afterwards? My son always goes through a thirty-minute stretch of screaming about 20 minutes after the injection. The doc says the epi makes him uncomfortable. He’s too young to tell me what’s going on, though.

    • Feeling sick after having epinephrine is totally common! You can only imagine how much the body has just been through! I always experience nausea, a terrible headache, stomach pains, weakness, pain and discomfort from the prior swelling and rash of the skin, shaking, and fatigue. Also from the meds and the stress on the body, being emotional is very common! Thanks for the comment 🙂

  3. Pingback: Food Allergy Chronicles Thanks ‘Seize The Veggies’ For The Very Inspiring Blogger Award | The Food Allergy Chronicles

  4. I am in recovery mode after my anaphlaxis… mine is to bananas and i dont have to eat them to have a reaction. Just being in the same room causes a reaction….. it has been slowly developing for 3 years. Have been carrying an epi for 16 months now.I currently work with special needs kids in the school system, but am wondering how much longer this will last. I have 17 years invested in my job but to me is not a job cause i love working with these special children.Up till now was using benedryhl and two other meds to combat allergy. There is always bananas around school:( they are more common than peanutbutter!!!
    So on a friday at a birthday dinner- banana pudding in restaraunt- 11 min i have reaction, run out gaging- use epi……. tuesday at school another reaction, did not use epi but waited one 3 meds to work…… then thursday, ten feet in lunchroom have to run out( no they were not serveing bananas) but someone had one…… used epi- went to er….. was given another epi and benedryhl, dr came in asking questions about what happened and history… about 20 min or so a nurse comes in and dr askes her to hook up bp and mointor equipment…. she put on cuff and i start coughing and gaging, dr and head nurse look at me, head nurse says you were fine a few minutes ago, other nurse says, i just ate a banana…. dr sends her out and i get two more epis, two more benedryhl shots as well as two steroid shots, after floor was cleared of bananas spent next 7 hr waiting for them to find a place for me… spent nite in ICU on a cleared floor with no bananas……
    stayed awake all nite…
    next day home. really tired, headaches, stomack ache, sore throat from all the gaging, no energy, rubber leggs

    • Hello Donna! I am so sorry to hear this, I totally understand what you are going through. I am also airborne anaphylactic to strawberries and have had reactions to the smell like yourself. It is a very scary feeling and can be very traumatizing! I am amazed at how much our allergies have in common, mine have also developed quickly over a couple years! What I want you too know is that allergies are a daily struggle but it will get better! I am not saying that your allergies will magically disappear, but you will learn to accept your allergies. After my last serious reaction I became involved with Anaphylaxis Canada. I am not sure where you live but there is support all around. From blogs, youth groups, conferences, and community support groups; you will find help. I know that the days after a reaction can seem very dark and hopeless but always remember that it will get better and you are strong. I am always here if you have any questions or just feel like venting. Thanks for commenting and sharing your story!

  5. Pingback: My Top 10! | A Tale Of Anaphylaxis

  6. I have experienced anaphylaxis several times (like you, also to milk in the air a few times), but this past Thursday was by far the worst accident I’ve had.. to candy with milk in it. My tongue started swelling within 30 seconds, then my throat felt like it was closing, I got my short, raspy asthma cough, severe congestion that was draining down my swollen throat and choking me, stomach pain, loss of voice, and then confusion/brain fog. I used my rescue inhaler while I looked at the package to see what I’d done, then took Benadryl as my husband drove me to the ER (less than 5 minutes away). They immediately used Epi and put an IV in for steroids. My veins were collapsing, so it was very difficult and painful, and the bruise I have today is still swollen and my arm is sore – in spite of repeated applications of arnica gel. Of course, I’m also reacting to the adhesive from the tape they used when they removed my IV when I got to go home to be monitored. Of course, less than four hours after the incident, I started getting the severe drainage again, but benadryl stopped the second wave of the reaction before it got too bad. If I didn’t have a full dose of Benadryl exactly four hours after the last does I’d start getting full body itchy again, and the hives from the adhesive came back.. Today I’ve managed on only one dose, since I’ve had only minor itching and been alone with my kids (who also have anaphylactic allergies to many things),. I’d forgotten how long a reaction of this kind takes to leave my body, and the side effects of the epinepherine, albuterol, and prednisone are also taking a toll. It’s now just over 48 hours later and I’m still dizzy, having major stomach pains, diarrhea, shaking, sore throat, headache. At least my asthma is back under control.

    Thank you for this post. I’ve learned quite a bit from it, and from reading all of the comments. You are right – I have to look at the bright sides. I am able to describe what happens during a severe reaction so that I can educate my kids and other people. I’ve realized that I was very lucky that some of my past ana. reactions didn’t kill me. I know to use my Epi AS SOON AS I start to feel my throat or tongue swelling, or as soon as I know I’ve ingested anything with either milk or walnuts – regardless of if I have symptoms yet or not. I have learned that no matter how careful I think I am, accidents can still happen, and that since I am human, they will happen again. I have to get over bashing myself for my mistake and be thankful that my husband was still home and that I wasn’t alone when it happened. I have to give myself permission and time to heal from this, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

  7. Thanks everyone for sharing. Today I had my second anaphylaxis episode, but the first time to get an epinephrine shot. Honestly, I am not certain what triggered either of the reactions. I know the first time it was something in a veggie salad dosed with ranch dressing from the school cafeteria. Today the allergist believes it was something I ate last night, maybe the pesto sauce. I received the epi injection in the doctor’s office, and was told I should have used my Epipen before coming to the office. I live in a really small town with no ER during doctor’s office hours. I did see my local family physician, but he gave me a short acting steroid, solumedrol, and a breathing treatment of albuterol. He gave me scripts for prednisone and an antibiotic. All good, right? For a short amount of time. I called my mom to come over and take me to my allergist’s office in the closest major city (about 30 or 20 minutes away depending on how fast you drive!) for further treatment since I was still coughing horribly.. I really didn’t want to cough all day and over the weekend, by the way, it’s Friday. The day all or most doctor’s offices close at noon. We made it to his office at 11:00!! The nurses immediately put me in a room and within moments the doctor had given me an epi shot, a shot of celestone, and a breathing treatment of pulmicort and xopenex. I had called ahead and spoke with a nurse who had all my information about symptoms. I was waiting on a call back, but decided I better not wait and get a move on. I was actually really surprised that he gave me an epi shot because I thought it was really a bad asthma attack. Well, next time I will NOT hesitate to give epi and then go to the local doctor and then the allergist. That’s really the only choice I have if anaphylaxis strikes again. I work in the school district and have a peanut allergy son attending school in the same district. Last year, to recieve a bonus at Christmas, everyone was required to complete an hour’s online training to receive thier money. I was very impressed with the training and ecstatic about it being reqiured. My staff and, of course, school nurse are informed of my allergy problem and that I carry an EpiPen. I am feeling extremely achy and tired, but not too bad to type this response. Praise God for wonderful staff, doctors, medicines, and the best mom in the world! epipenprincess, thank you so much for sharing your positive attitude after such a harrowing experience. It took me a week with another doctor’s visit the first time I experienced anaphylaxis (no epi), to feel better so I am positively prepared to rest and know that my body will heal in time.

    • Thank you for commenting! I am so glad to hear you are okay! I know how overwhelming and stressful the whole situation can be. I hope you are able to figure out what the cause was to prevent any future reactions. Remaining positive is the most important thing, although not always the easiest. I look forward to hearing more from you on here and send best wishes and positive vibes. My heart is warmed knowing that my blog has helped you! 🙂 feel better and rest!

  8. This is a comforting forum. I am a 32 year old Aussie guy who had my first bee sting anaphylactic episode over a week ago. I had an adrenalin shot in hospital and it helped however the sx have not fully gone after a week. I still have numbness in my face, twitching, breathlessness and any kind of stress appears to trigger me again. Does anyone else have this??

    • Hey Luke! I am glad to hear you are okay and wish you a speedy recovery! The stress of anaphylaxis and symptoms can linger for a little while, they body has been through a lot! But I suggest getting into an allergist or doctor as soon as possible! All the best! Merry Christmas!

  9. My 6 yr. old daughter had an anaphylaxis reaction 1 month ago following her allergy shot. She was given an epipen and spend the next 3 days in the hospital while receiving steroids and breathing treatments. She still has most of the symptoms she had during the initial reaction… which include dizziness, tingling, tight throat, feels like she is smothering and has a lot of anxiety. During the onset of the anaphylaxis she also had nausea, faintness, was very pale in color and was very weak, her asthma kicked in and her breathing became labored. She is currently on her 3rd round of steroids and still feels really bad. We keep an epipen with us at all times because of how severe her cat allergy is and am treated by an allergy/asthma specialist.

  10. It took nearly 6 weeks for my daughter to feel better from the anaphylaxis symptoms. Now she is dealing with the anxiety of everything that happened. Been doing a lot of research in ways to help her cope with the anxiety… What are some coping skills that you all use to help with the anxiety from having an anaphylaxis reaction?

    • Well with me I think its important to not rush back into anything. If I’m not comfortable returning to school or work I take as much time as needed. I also think its important to surround yourself with people you love and friends. It can be upsetting to tell people the story or talk about what happened but when your ready it’s best to talk about how scared you felt and how you are feeling now. After my last reaction I was scared to sleep and to be alone. Having my mom there and talking to her made it a lot easier. I still have anxiety about my allergies but knowing that I have people who love and support me really helps. Another coping mechanism for me has been this blog! Sharing my experiences and replying to people’s comments helps me accept my allergies and embrace them.

  11. She and I talk a lot, thank God we have a special relationship where she knows she can tell me anything! She is young but we have tried our very best to educate her about her allergies and what to do in case of a reaction whether it is minor or sever. The anaphylaxis scared her half to death and made her very fearful of her allergy triggers! We have tried to prepare her about returning to school and am trying positive reinforcement to help her cope with the stress of being such an allergic kiddo. I have found comfort in finding your blog as it has been very informative and supportive. Sounds like she/we are on the right track to a full recovery!

    • That is so good! I am so happy you have found my blog and it has given some glimmer of hope! That is fabulous that you and your daughter have such a good relationship! Never let that fade! Hope she is doing okay and starting to be more like herself again 🙂

  12. Hi, I am so happy I found this blog and read your posts – I felt like something is wrong me and I just cant go back to my normal self after three days of my first accident (carrot juice). I feel fine and suddenly I start to cry and get scared of all foods and drinks. And the world – in general. You know the feeling?? You feel safe only at home and dont want to leave it ever again? I feel very strange and have this feeling of loneliness but still dont want to talk to my family or friends about my reaction, because I thought I am over sensitive and didn’t want to bore them with all the details…. reading your posts helped so much – almost dying is indeed pretty big event in life…I did not realize that those fears are common, the doctor did not say anything about it, just gave me all those steriods and shots and let me go after few hours – and I did not know what to expect. The accident is still going on on my head – I go through it over and over again, and I keep wondering what if, what if we didn’t make it to the hospital etc. It is so comforting to know that you experienced it too and that the fear is ok and I can give myslef more then three days to recover. Thank you. all the best to off of you from Poland.

    • So cool to know I have a follower in Poland! Awesome! I am glad you are okay , and I can relate. I have gone through all the same things. During my last reaction, I didn’t want to be home lane or go to school or work. I was so afraid of coming that close to death again. I cried a lot and found it very tough. But, it does get easier! Keep your head up and remember there is tons of people who are going through the same thing!

  13. Hi.

    I suffered my first anaphylactic shock on Friday 24th January 2014, It’s by far the most scary thing I have ever had to suffer, I’m not sure what the cause was, as the only known allergy I have is hayfever.
    I woke up at 4am that morning and felt fine, was asleep again until just after 7am and woke up with what felt like just a throat full of Phlegm, as I attempted to cough, the attack happened! Thankfully I was staying at my parents at the time so with my mum’s ex nursing skills and my dad calling 999, I did not have to wait for long but it did feel like ages until Ambulance crew arrived!

    I’m still on the medication and somewhat living with fear & low on confidence after this, any advice or someone to talk to on a regular basis would be good.


    Andy 29/Aberdeen/Scotland.

    • Hey Andy, feel,free to message me on my ask page anytime! I know exactly what your going through and I applaud you for being honest in how you are feeling. I am so glad to hear you are okay. Anaphylaxis can be pretty scary and can Instil feelings of anxiety and fear. I often fear eating after and being alone. Always keep in mind that there is tons of people around the world who are going through the same things as you. Keep your head up 🙂

      • I’m so glad I found this site! I had my first reaction a few days ago. At first I didn’t realize it was an allergic reaction. I thought I was getting a cold. Over 3 days my symptoms intensified and I ended up at Urgent Care and told I was having anaphylaxis. I always assumed it would be an immediate response and that is one reason I waited so long to go see a doctor. He said I was really lucky and I do feel blessed to be here!!! Awaiting testing in near future. I am really tired etc as many others have posted. I didn’t know if that was common but I see it is. And while I’m trying to not let it get the best if me, the what ifs keep creeping in my mind. I hate for anyone to experience this but I’m glad to not feel so alone.

      • Wow! So glad to know you are okay. I have never known that symptoms could be gradual! Very scary.. You are most definitely not alone!! I know exactly what you are going through. I hope you are starting to feel better! Always remember to be positive and strong, it will help a lot. Looking forward to reading more comments from you in the near future. Good luck!

  14. I have just got back from ICU while on my honeymoon (sucks I know). It had been a few years since I’ve had what I call a proper reaction – as in life threatening/multiple adrenalin shots/hospital admittance.
    I just turned 28 last week and have had allergies since I was born and spending the night awake with so much adrenalin in me I had the chance to observe how much I’ve grown, learnt and changed the way I react in this situations now. Might be a bit long of a post but thought it might be helpful to others.

    For me I am allergic to all nuts. I have a ten (10) minute window from ingestion to death, with my airways closing, whole body swelling and my blood pressure dropping so low I am unable to help myself. My childhood asthma also kicks in too making it difficult to breathe.

    When I was a young child I often hid the initial signs of an onset because I didn’t want to get sick (too late, the wheels were in motion!), get in trouble for eating the wrong thing (this was never the case but I feared I would get in big trouble) or get left out of something with friends as it would take a long time to recover. I was so sensitive it wasn’t just ingesting food but touching, or having someone eat it and touch or kiss me, or even just the smell in the air.
    Lucky I had a fabulous mum who was almost over the top in letting people know how to look after me and what to do and actions to take – no one in the eighties had allergies like me, today it’s more common but back then I was weird and people found it scary. It is scary though. Mum taught me how to notice all the signs, and made sure anyone who would be supervising me or feeding me knew too. It helps, because in an emergency where a kid all of a sudden is gasping for air you need to already have the knowledge in your head to remember what to do. I had many too-close calls growing up.

    As a teenager I would get angry, as those instances where I almost died were most commonly because of food handling ignorance, despite being explicit with my food ordering (I always say: “does this have any nuts in it? I will DIE if it does” just to make sure there are no misunderstandings. It might sound harsh but I need the waitress to convey to the kitchen and actually ask what ingredients are in my food instead of shrugging their shoulders and making it up).
    In an attack I usually would immediately find my epipen and antihistamine or go to the closest chemist or doctors surgery and make sure an ambulance was called. I’ve travelled the world, been in remote areas where this has happened and my first port of call is to find one person, give them instructions of what to do and what is going to happen to me and how they can help me until I can get an ambulance.
    The main thing in my teens was learning to control my anger and anxiety as this would speed up the reaction for me and lessen my time. Breathing slowly and staying calm helps me stay in control, slow the reaction and also help the person who will have to look after me stay calm too. I still don’t like big crowds of people around at the time – I was once running a camp of over 60 people and that was hard as I was two hours from a hospital so it was quite traumatising for everyone on that camp. I prefer to have only one or two people around til help arrives. The second person can help the first when things get hairy!

    Nowadays, like yesterday, I am very calm. I know exactly what to do to avoid foods but even then accidents still happen (yesterday was nuts in chocolate cake a cafe is been visiting daily – turns out the suppliers staff had sold the cake under nut free advice but I knew as soon as it touched my tongue).
    I’ve learnt even though I want to be “normal”, I’m not – any moment I could forget to ask what’s in my food or, and this has happened, my life long friend or relative will forget and put nuts in my food or a chef will cross contaminate. I can’t be lazy and not take my epipen out with me everywhere, I have to be responsible for my own experience and that means being prepared, communicating clearly even to a restaurant or new workplaces and explaining my condition so it doesn’t take anyone by surprise. By being upfront I find I am free to do anything in life I choose because I know how to create a safety net around me, because my life could end in ten minutes time from the smallest thing.

    Post anaphylaxis is hard for me as I often need multiple shots of adrenalin steroids and a host of other stuff to keep me alive and stop the reaction from recurring. This time I was on adrenalin every 30 mins or so for a few hours before they just hooked me up to an IV over the last twelve, so severe was the reaction which was a new experience. I know I’ll be weak, sick in my stomach and running to the bathroom a lot as my body tries to expel all the drugs and the nuts I ate over the next few days. I always want to get “back to normal” too quick, and forget that I almost died and that’s quite traumatic.
    My recipe: taking the prescribed medicine they tell you to afterwards (I’m working on listening to my own advice in this area), shedding a few tears without judgement – it WAS scary, it IS a big deal, I AM allowed to feel that – drinking a lot of water and electrolytes, good small meals and sleep once my body relaxes from the drugs and in a few days I will be okay.

    When I was a kid my mum would get me a happy meal from McDonalds as I wasn’t allowed junk but it was a special lapse of rules we shared afterwards and we’d talk about what had happened and what I could do next time. It helped establish a “post hospital” routine for me – special self-care ritual, debrief, eat, sleep and rest – and that was good for me as a kid. It’s something I still uphold now (though not always mcdonalds!) and it has helped me get others, like my husband to understand too.
    I can get quite sad afterward too as I really do face my own mortality in such a small time frame – I’ve learnt to live life without regrets, do the things I want to, so that if the moment comes when I run out of time I will have no regrets.
    I also make an effort to go back and thank people who helped me, make sure they are alright as it’s scary for them and also speak to food places about how they handled it. I’ve seen a lot of changes to food practices and emergency protocols from doing this – in food industries and restaurants, in schools I’ve attended as a student and as a youth worker, as well as been a part of workplace training too.

    Good luck to anyone reading this post I hope it’s been helpful. I found it soothing after reading people’s comments here , to know even after all my experiences, that what I’m feeling now is normal and that I just need to continue to trust myself and do what had always served me.
    Off to sleep, hopefully soon!

    • First of all, thank you for this amazing comment! Lots of great information!! So sorry to hear about the reaction but glad to know you are doing okay. My mum always gets me junk food after reactions too! haha! Your allergies seem very severe and that must be scary for you. I admire your strength and positivity!! Those too things make being sick a heck of a lot easier! Keep it up! Congratulations on your marriage and I look forward to reading more comments from you in the future! 🙂

  15. So happy to have found this blog! I had an ER visit and was almost inhibited from a Bobbi Brown make-over, because they use “Marine Life” in their makeup but don’t teach their makeup artists that they do nor do they post it on their website! Man can I relate to the posts that talk about controlling their anger! This was the worst reaction I have ever had and it is REALLY helpful to read things that the Dr. did NOT tell me~ Like how long Id feel this crappy or how tight my throat would continue to be.. THANK YOU for all who have posted and you for starting this blog!
    Been wondering if one of my new lots in life is to make a list of all the places and products where FISH/Shellfish/Marine life is hiding….Does anyone know of any list like this. If I read one more list of all the fish names! Come on! I did find that Guinness beer has fish bladder in it (Yea, wonder who the heck came up with this idea!). Marshmallows have Fish bones in it as well as Kosher Gelatin! These are the things I am looking for so if ANY one has more PLEASE Share! I NEVER wantta do this again!

  16. I want to than you for everything you do. I know that you advocate for teens but I cannot find any other site like yours. I just had my first reaction yesterday. My husband and I took our kids to a water park. When we were leaving i stepped on a bee. My dad is allergic but I never thought I would be. I started feeling like my tongue was getting fat but didn’t know why. Then my throat started closing. My husband used to work EMS and has always said that if you can talk, you can breathe. That is what I kept holding on to so that I wouldn’t panic in front of my kids. I got so angry at the medic that came to help. He asked if I had ever been stung before. I got stung mowing about two months ago but never saw what stung me. He kept saying that in order to have anaphylaxis you had to have been exposed before. He just used a tone that told me he did not believe how I was feeling. I felt like I would die and he dismissed me. He ended up taking me to the medic building where others started taking care of me and gave me benadryl. I felt something almost immediately but expected my swelling to go down too. It just kept it from getting worse. I was transported to the hospital where I received a breathing treatment, steroids, and Pepcid (who knew). The er doctor said that the benadryl IV saved my life. I had horrible a headache all night and today as well as as ore throat and just a tired feeling. Is there some sort of scale that is used to determine how bad my reaction was? At the time I was afraid I was dying, but today I feel like I am just over dramatic

  17. Well if you are the Epi-Pen Princess, then I must be the Epi-Pen Queen! I only say this because I have had to take my Epi-Pens over 40 times in the last 20 years. In 1994 I was diagnosed with an anaphylactic allergy to latex and 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Idiopathic anaphylaxis. I totally understand the horror of the after effects of anaphylaxis. I think you are so brave to share your story with the world. I find the people around me are very concerned with protecting me from reactions but struggle to understand just how long it take me to recover. I am 40 now and as I have aged with this I have learned that it takes me longer to recover as I get older. Also I take longer to bounce back if I hesitate to take my Epi-pen when having a reaction. I have seen many doctors taken many prescriptions and done many tests to try to find a better way of dealing with anaphylaxis and the after effects but have come up short. The only advice I have is to drink Gatoraide or some types of sports drink with electrolytes and high in sugar. My blood sugar always drops dramatically and the sooner I balance it out the better. Eat yogurt with enzymes as it helps with the poops and nausea thing. Take vitamins c, b and d. I also take Echinacea to help boost my immune system. I am a teacher so I am exposed to lots of grossness and I need my immune system to be strong. Drink lots of water after to help flush everything out of my system. Take Benedryl every 4. Hours until all hives and skin reactions are gone. That usually takes about a week and rest for as many as days as I need. Post reactions are not just physical, the emotional part is also very traumatic. Any advice to help that?

  18. I know this is an old post, but my 15 month old son had an anaphylactic reaction three days ago that landed us in the hospital. We’ve been home, giving him his antihistamines, steroids, and the pepcid as instructed. He’s vomited twice since then and our doc says that can be normal after a reaction like his… but I can’t find a website that explains what to expect in the days after a severe reaction and I want to make sure we’re not dismissing anything that should be paid attention to. Any input? Or know of any site that provides the “after anaphylaxis” story?

    • Hi Dina! Finding post anaphylaxis info can be tricky, and I try to stay away from offering medical advice. If you are noticing anything that doesn’t seem right or is alarming definitely seek medical attention. Steroids can be very hard on the stomach and have caused me to vomit as well. Wishing you and your son all the best!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: